Is there anything more exciting than a well-designed kitchen gadget?
With the (possible) exception of the birth of your first child, we say NO. From dollar store conveniences to expensive countertop appliances, nothing inspires culinary creativity quite like a shiny new kitchen toy.
A really great gadget is one that solves common culinary conundrums in a way that more conventional kitchen tools simply can’t.
Dollar Store Finds - The dollar store is full of inexpensive items for the kitchen and is particularly useful when it comes time to organize your cabinets and drawers.
- Veggie storage containers – plastic, food safe containers allow excess water to drain away from fruits and vegetables.
- Salad Dressing Travel Packs – Take your dairy-free, low calorie, keto-friendly salad dressing with you in a leak-free, single-serving travel container.
- Storage hooks, racks and shelves – A quick web search will show you hundreds of dollar store hacks to keep your kitchen tidy and organized.
Handy for Small Jobs – These easy to clean, easy to store tools are perfect when cooking for one and serve as a less cumbersome alternative to bringing out a full-sized electric appliance.
- Immersion blender – great for dips, scrambled eggs, and smoothies. Look for one with a food processor attachment for more small-dish convenience.
- Handheld chopper (AKA Slap Chop)– rice and dice vegetables quickly without lugging out your big food processor. Pop it in the dishwasher for easy clean up.
- Mini waffle maker – use it with brownie mix for a single serve desert. Throw in leftover mashed potatoes and you’ve got waffle fries in just a few minutes or pre-prep a batch of mini waffles. Reheat in the toaster for a grab-n-go breakfast.
Single function gadgets - While most kitchen purists avoid single-use gadgets like the plague, these one-use wonders are well worth it.
- Ratcheting Pineapple Corer- This incredibly easy to use tool puts fresh pineapple on your table faster than opening a can.
- Garlic Rocker – A garlic rocker is easier to use and clean than traditional garlic presses and makes fresh garlic as convenient to use as powdered.
- Apple Corer – An apple corer lets you remove the core while leaving the rest of the apple intact. Toss the core in with the kitchen compost and move on with your day. When you finish eating your apple, you won’t be left holding the core.
Countertop Appliances – The last few years have seen an explosion of innovation in countertop appliances with functionality ranging from novel to frivolous to life-altering. Here are a few of our favorites.
- Air Fryer/Pressure Cooker Combos – Insta Pot and Ninja Foodie rule this category, but NuWave, Emeril and a handful of other brands offer their own take on this convenient countertop miracle worker.
- Stand Mixer –the Kitchen Aid stand mixer has been a staple in family kitchens for over a century. Competition from Cuisinart, Hamilton Beach and others have led to new options for consumers including interesting design and color choices, a variety of capacity and power options and a mini version with a significantly smaller footprint.
- Ice Maker – portable and countertop ice makers are gaining popularity due to the maintenance, repair and noise associated with in-door ice and water dispensers.
Gourmet Kitchen Features – Because sometimes it's fun to show off.
- Pot Filler – A faucet installed over a range/cooktop with a swing out arm designed for easy fill up of large stock pots.
- 3D Food Printer – Yup. It’s a thing. PancakeBot is only one example. Food safe 3D printers are an emerging market, but current price points have kept them in the novelty category for now.
- Premium Appliances –with upgraded or custom finishes and top-of-the line features, the style and function of premium appliances can completely change the way you feel about your kitchen.
While gadgets and gizmos are fun, they won’t come close to the excitement and inspiration of a completely redesigned kitchen. If it’s time for a kitchen makeover, talk to the Boles Group at Bay Equity about using your home equity to pay for it. Call 480-279-0032 and a Boles Group loan officer will walk you through your options.
Bay Equity Home Loans – Boles Group is a team of lending professionals located in Gilbert, Arizona and licensed to originate home loans for purchase or refinance in 11 states (AZ, CA, CO, Fl, GA, ID, MN, NM, NV, OK, OR, WA). Boles Group lending professionals have the knowledge and experience to create solutions where other lenders create problems. The team prides itself on responsive, accurate communication and is highly regarded by clients and business associates alike.